Illinois (15-5, 2-4) vs. No. 2 Michigan (18-1, 5-1)
Sun., Jan. 27, 5 p.m. - Champaign, Ill. - Assembly Hall (16,618)
Big Ten Network (Announcers: Eric Collins, Shon Morris)
Notes (from Michigan sports information):
- Michigan is ranked second in the Associated Press poll and third in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll. The Wolverines have been ranked inside the top-i ve for the entire season.
- U-M has reached as high as No. 2 in the national polls this season marking the programs highest since 1992-93. The Wolverines held on to the second position for four straight weeks.
- U-M has been ranked among the top 25 for 32 straight weeks (including preseason polls). U-M's longest stretch of being ranked is 54 straight weeks.
- Michigan opened the season ranked fifth in both the Associated Press' and ESPN/USA Today Coaches' preseason polls. It is Michigan's highest preseason ranking since the 1993-94 season.
- Last season, Michigan was one of 11 teams to be ranked among both national polls for the entire season. The others on the list included Baylor, Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio State and Syracuse.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. became the 46th Wolverine to score 1,000 points in his career. Currently, he is 29th all-time with 1,271 career points. He needs 29 points to become the 28th Wolverine with 1,300-plus career points.
- Trey Burke was named to the Midseason Top 25 for the John R. Wooden Award National Player of the Year and All-America team. Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. were both on the season opening watch list.
Trey Burke - G, Soph., 6-0, 190 - 17.8 rpg, 7.2 apg
Tim Hardaway Jr. - G, Jr., 6-6, 205 - 16.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg
Nik Stauskas - G, Fr., 6-6, 190 - 12.6, 3.2 rpg
Glenn Robinson III - F, Fr., 6-6, 210 - 12.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg
Jordan Morgan - F, R-Jr., 6-8, 250 - 6.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg
Off the bench:
Mitch McGary - F, Fr., 6-10, 250 - 5.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg
Caris LeVert - G, Fr., 6-5, 170 - 3.4 ppg, 1.2 apg
Spike Albrecht - G, Fr., 5-11, 170 - 1.7 ppg, 0.9 apg
Series record: Illinois 85-74
Series streak: Michigan W3
Record @ Champaign: Illinois leads 54-24
Series streak @ Champaign: Michigan W1
Last year's meetings:
No. 22 Michigan 70, Illinois 61 (Feb. 12, 2012 @ Ann Arbor)
No. 13 Michigan 72, Illinois 61 (March 1, 2012 @ Champaign)
Groce vs. Michigan: 1-0
"Obviously they've got great personnel. We've went against other teams that have great personnel as well. It's certainly up there. It's certainly up there. There's no question about that. ... They have a good blend of guys that have experience and guys that are younger that are certainly bringing things to the table for their team. Obviously they're very, very talented and that freshman class is a big part of that." -- John Groce
Michigan school info: